Info For
Skip to Content
A family poses at homecoming.

Frequently Asked Questions

Sending your student to college can come with lots of questions! We’ve tried to answer a few of the most common ones here. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Remember to check the Accepted Students page for additional help.

Moving In

What does the move-in experience look like for parents?

Welcome Weekend starts on Friday morning, as incoming students arrive and get settled into their residence halls. Parents are welcome to stay in the area and participate in Welcome Weekend events on Friday and Saturday, including an Information Fair and Dedication Service on Friday afternoon and evening as well as a Parent Session on Saturday morning. Parents are encouraged to say goodbyes after lunch on Saturday as the rest of the programming that weekend will be for students only. View the schedule of events.

When do student athletes move into their residence halls?

If your student is moving in early because of athletics, they will receive information from their coach or supervisor regarding the date and schedule. Actual dates vary according to the sport or campus job for which the student is returning early.

Life on Campus

How do students receive mail?

Students have mailboxes in their residence halls through which they can receive mail and packages. Here’s how you can address mail for your student:

[Student Name]
Residence Hall and Room Number
1846 Main Street
Upland, IN 46989-1001

What’s the difference between the PA and DA in residence halls?

Taylor’s commitment to creating a nurturing environment that cultivates men and women of God starts from the first day your student moves into their residence hall. The leadership structure within residence halls is a part of that intentionality. Each wing or floor has an upperclassman PA (Personnel Assistant), who provides leadership and manages the activities of the wing or floor. The upperclassman DA works with the PAs to build and sustain a healthy, Christian community on the wing/floor.

In addition, live-in residence hall directors provide overall leadership to the entire hall.

During which breaks do the residence halls close?

The halls will be closed during the following breaks:

  • Thanksgiving Vacation—Wednesday, November 22, 2023 10 am until Sunday, November 26, 2023 at 1 pm.
  • Christmas Vacation—Friday, December 15, 2023 10 am until Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 10 am.
  • Spring Vacation—Saturday, March 23, 2024 10 am until Monday, April 1, 2024 at 10 am.
  • Summer Vacation—Saturday, May 18, 2024 9:30 am (4 pm for graduating seniors)

As a reminder, only students who are registered for J-term classes can live on campus during January.

What do you recommend students bring for their room? What items are prohibited?

For packing guidelines and recommendations, please refer to this packing list.

Are parking passes required? How do you get one/do they cost anything?

Yes, parking passes are required to park a vehicle on campus. Students can visit Campus Police in the Boren Student Center to register a vehicle anytime between Monday through Friday, 8 am–5 pm (closed during chapel and noon–1 pm for lunch).

Parking Pass Fees

2024-2025 school year:

  • $50 for sophomores/juniors/seniors (if registered in the first week of school)
  • $75 for freshman (and everyone else who registers after the first week of school)

2025-2026 school year:

  • $65 for sophomores/juniors/seniors (if registered in the first week of school)
  • $90 for freshman (and everyone else who registers after the first week of school)

2026-2027 school year: 

  • $75 for sophomores/juniors/seniors (if registered in the first week of school)
  • $100 for freshman (and everyone else who registers after the first week of school)

However, keep in mind that first-term resident freshmen are not permitted to have automobiles or motorcycles until after Thanksgiving. Personal exceptions may be granted for the following reasons:

  • A medical or dental condition that requires frequent appointments with a doctor or health professional
  • Employment off-campus (must provide proof of employment and schedule of hours)
  • Illness of a family member or extenuating circumstances that may require a student to go home on an emergency basis
  • In rare instances, if a student needs the vehicle to get home for Thanksgiving break the student should indicate that there is no other means of transportation available to get home.

To gain permission to use a vehicle for one of the above purposes, students must email a request to Jeff Wallace at Reviews will be done by the Chief of Police.

Does Taylor help students find connections to get rides back home or to the airport?

Yes! Many students coordinate rides with others who return to the same area. There is also a shuttle service (Hoosier Shuttle) that picks students up and drops off passengers at the Cracker Barrel in Gas City at Exit 259 on I-69.

How does my student get to local churches? Are there shuttles or carpools?

Yes, we want to make it easy for students to get to a local church. Many wings and floors post sign-ups in a central location for students to sign up for carpools to local churches. Encourage your student to ask upperclassmen and faculty/staff members for church recommendations.

How do students learn about and participate in international study programs?

Taylor offers semester-long and J-term academic study abroad, and J-term and spring break service trips. To discover more about the ways to serve, learn, and travel at Taylor, students should contact the Office of Off-Campus Study Programs, email, or the Taylor World Outreach Office Assistant Jen McKim.

Does my student have to qualify for work study to get a campus job?

Although students eligible for work-study are hired first, all students can apply to jobs on campus. Students should use the employment button on myTAYLOR to learn about job openings, the hiring process, and the forms they need to fill out.

Are all campus jobs equal in pay?

No, campus jobs pay different wages according to the type of work required.

How do I contact my student in case of an emergency?

If you are unable to reach your student in the event of an emergency, call Campus Police at 765-998-5555. This number is monitored 24 hours a day by an officer. They will notify your student’s hall director who will then make contact with your student.

Mental Health / Student Support

What mental health resources are available on campus for students?

We care deeply about the physical, spiritual, and mental health of our students. Taylor provides a number of counseling services. Students should call or email the Counseling Center to set up an appointment.

How do students sign up for counseling?

Students should call or email the Counseling Center to set up an appointment.

Is there a charge for academic tutoring?

No, there is no charge for academic support and tutoring. Students who wish to receive academic help should sign up through the Academic Enrichment Center.

What medical services are available near campus?

The Taylor Student Health Center is located across the street from Samuel Morris Hall and is open Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm. Students should call 765-770-0650 to schedule an appointment.

How can I help students going through an emergency?

Taylor parents raise financial resources each year for the Emergency Assistance Fund to be allocated for student emergencies. Medical costs not covered by insurance and emergency travel in case of death or severe illness of immediate family are two of the most frequent reasons for allocations from this fund. The monies from the Emergency Assistance Fund are raised through a special offering held during Homecoming & Family Weekend.

Course Materials

If my student is opting out of Slingshot, where can we find a list of the course required material?

Every student has a Slingshot account, where they can opt in or opt out of the course material delivery service. If you choose to opt out, your student can still reference the lists in their Slingshot account to see what course materials they’ll need.

How do you pay the Slingshot bill?

The charges for books are included in the semester charges unless a student opts out of the Slingshot program.

IT Questions

Does Taylor have recommendations in terms of a laptop, software, and anti-virus protection?

Yes! Check out this document to see what brands, specifications, and programs the Taylor IT department suggests.

Can the IT Help Desk assist with troubleshooting a student’s technology problems?

The IT Help desk can sometimes help a student troubleshoot their personal devices, but the student will often be directed to contact the company with whom the warranty is held.

Are printers available for the students?

All of the academic buildings, the Dining Commons, and the Boren Student Center have printers for student use. By using CampusSecurePrint as a printing option, students can send a document to the print queue, and swipe their ID to print the document at any of the above locations. Students’ printing accounts are pre-loaded with $10 and can be renewed as necessary.

Tuition / Financial Aid

How can I pay my student's bill?

The Student Accounts office has all the information you'll need about payment plans, payment schedules, paying your bill, and contact information. 

When will the fall bills be posted to student accounts?

Fall semester billing is available online in mid-July, and payment is due August 20 if not enrolled in a payment plan. Billing statements are generated and posted on the last business day of each month.

What are the grade requirements for keeping scholarships?

Scholarships awarded through Taylor require a student to maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA. Department scholarships and scholarships from outside organizations have varying GPA requirements.

Do students need additional money to attend athletic events on campus?

No, admission to regular season athletic events on campus is free for students who show their student IDs.


How do I gain access to TOWER Proxy?

TOWER Proxy provides parents access to the student’s online academic information. You can find instructions on accessing this tool here:

Parents may receive access to academic records by being granted permission by their student to access TOWER information. Students must:

  • Login to the Taylor Portal (myTAYLOR) at and open TOWER in the student tab.
  • Select the Parent Access (TOWER Proxy) menu option located on the student’s TOWER account and select manage proxies.
  • The parent must have a valid email address
  • Select each information page for which review permission is to be granted.

After the above steps are completed by the student, you will receive an e-mail indicating the account has been created. It will provide a link for you to use to complete the authentication process.

For questions regarding TOWER Proxy, e-mail

Why does my student have to give me access to see their records?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal Law that protects the privacy of students and prohibits institutions of higher education from disclosing any student information, including financial information, without the explicit authorization of the student. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), Taylor University has established guidelines regarding access to and release of educational records. In short, FERPA allows Taylor to release “directory information” without the consent or knowledge of the student, unless the student has notified Taylor in advance that such information is not to be released. Directory information may include the following:

  • Photo
  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone listing
  • E-mail address
  • Date and place of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended

Parents need to be aware that their student’s directory information is not available to them if the student has requested it not to be disclosed by requesting “Privacy.” Other information about the student, such as class schedule, grades, and student account balance is NOT available to parents unless the student has signed a written release.

For a student to release information such as grades and financial statement to another person, they are required to sign a FERPA form and have it on file in the Office of the Registrar.

My student has given me permission to see midterm grades, but I don’t see any. Is there something wrong?

Mid-term grades are posted only if they are below ‘C.’ Therefore, the fact that you can’t see any mid-term grades for your child is a good thing!

What if I forget my PIN?

Go to the TOWER Proxy login page. Enter the e-mail address used to establish your account and click on the Forgot PIN button. An e-mail will be sent to you that will allow you to reset the PIN and access your account.

Why do I get an error message when I try to access TOWER Proxy from work?

Many businesses have a firewall that will not allow access to some outside internet sites. You may have to contact the network administrator at your workplace to see if an adjustment can be made to the firewall software to allow you to access the Taylor University site.

Who do I contact if I experience difficulties?

Email or call the IT Help Desk at 765-998-4040, Monday–Friday, 8 am–5 pm.

Why does only one of my student’s names appear as a selection?

To be in compliance with FERPA, the student has complete control over what information his/her parent(s) can view. If your student’s name does not appear, he/she has not granted you access to their account information. 

TOWER Proxy does not provide financial account information. For detailed account information, visit TouchNet, which provides complete student account information on a secure online site, including current billing and monthly statements.

What’s the difference between TOWER Proxy and TouchNet?

TOWER Proxy provides access to the student’s online academic information. TouchNet provides access to the student’s online financial account information and provides a mechanism for paying outstanding balances. (For questions regarding TouchNet, e-mail or call 765-998-5123.)

Can I use my TOWER Proxy username and PIN to login to TouchNet?

TOWER Proxy and TouchNet are two distinct systems and do not share the same login information even though the parent’s email address is the username for both systems.

Can I use my TOWER Proxy username and PIN to login to

TOWER Proxy and the myTAYLOR portal are entirely separate system with different usernames and passwords.