Student and Faculty Member Laughing while working on a Laptop.

Frequently Asked Questions

Course Procedures

  • Do I need to apply for admission in order to take a course?

    No, simply submit an enrollment form which collects basic contact information as well as payment information. You will be a guest student of Taylor University.

  • How do I enroll?
    1. Click enroll now.
    2. Create a TU account (for Student Type, select Taylor Online Guest).
    3. Click on the Online Application link, which you will receive via email.
    4. Complete the Taylor Online application by filling in contact information and course selection.
    5. Click on the e-store link, which you will receive via email, and enter payment information.
  • When does my course start?

    The course begins on the registration date, which is the date tuition is paid.

  • How long do I have to complete my course?

    Guest students have four months from the registration date to complete a course. All materials are due by midnight EST on the final due date. Degree seeking students, who are using financial aid, complete courses in traditional semesters (15-week time frame).

  • How do I get my textbooks?

    Students are responsible for getting their own textbooks. The required textbooks are listed under the course descriptions found in the catalog. By clicking on the book, you will be directed to where the book is sold on

  • How do I access Blackboard?

    You can access Blackboard by logging into the Taylor portal at or directly at

  • How quickly are assignments graded?

    Professors have one week to grade each assignment. If three assignments are submitted at once, the professor will grade one assignment per week, returning the third assignment three weeks after receiving it. It is advisable to submit assignments intermittently throughout the course.

  • In which time zone are course materials due?

    All course materials (assignments, quizzes, exams, etc.) are due in Eastern Standard Time.

  • How are quizzes and exams administered?

    Quizzes and exams are facilitated online.

  • How do I reset my password?

    If you forget your password or are locked out of Blackboard, go to and reset your password.

  • Can I extend my course?

    Yes, a student is eligible for one four-month extension for a fee of $250. Extension requests and payment of the fee must be completed prior to the course expiration date. Click Pay Fees to request and submit payment for an extension.

    If the course is not completed within the original enrollment period and the student does not request an extension, or if the student does not complete the course by the end of the extension period, a grade of "F" is issued. Students have the option of re-enrolling in the course and, while the old course and grade remains on the transcript, only the new grade from the repeated course will be counted in the cumulative statistics.

  • What is the drop/withdrawal policy?

    The refund schedule and transcript ramifications for students who withdraw from a course is as follows:

    • Withdraw within 7 days of registration: 100% refund and course does not appear on the transcript.
    • Withdraw between 8 and 28 days of registration: 75% refund and course appears as a “W” on the transcript.
    • Withdraw between 29 days of registration and the original course due date: 0% refund and course appears as a “W” on the transcript.
    • Withdraw during the extension period: 0% refund and course appears as a “WF” on the transcript.

    To request to be withdrawn, contact the office at or 800-845-3149. The date the request is submitted will be honored as the withdrawal date.

    Students may drop a course and add another within 7 days of the registration date. The student will pay or be refunded any disparity in tuition between the two courses.

Mild Intervention Licensure

Taylor University Online

  • What are the courses like?

    Courses are taught completely online through Blackboard, our virtual course management system.

    The courses are delivered in independent study format in which you work one-on-one with the professor. The syllabus as well as all of the assignments are located in Blackboard. Once registered, the student begins completing the assignments as outlined in the syllabus until fulfilling all of the requirements.

  • Is Taylor University Online accredited?

    Yes, Taylor University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.

  • Are course credits transferable?

    Yes, credits are transferable to most other institutions. Please check with your home institution to ensure the transferability of the course.

  • What do the identifiers to the left of the course name mean?

    The three letters (e.g. BIB) indicate the discipline or category in which a course is placed. The set of three numbers (e.g. 109) indicates the level of the course:

    • 100 - 200 level courses - first and second year college courses
    • 300 - 400 level courses - upper division courses; require advanced writing, cognitive and critical thinking skills
  • How do I request a Taylor University transcript after I complete an online course?

    Follow this link to request a Taylor University transcript be sent to your institution.

  • How much time is required?

    The courses are college-level and require as much time and effort to complete as the same course taken on campus. The standard formula to determine the time investment for a class is to multiply the number of credit hours by 3, and that total by 15 (which represents a traditional 15 week semester). For example, a 3 credit hour course will require about 135 hours of work total – 9 hours a week over 15 weeks.

  • Are credits recorded in semester or quarter hours?

    Credits are recorded in semester hours.

  • What technology is needed?
    1. High speed internet access
    2. Computer or laptop (a mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, is not sufficient)
  • What are the term dates?

    Guest student registration dates will appear on the transcript as the actual registration and due date of his/her course.

Transition To Teaching

  • Can I teach while I complete this program?

    Yes! You may be eligible for a Transition to Teaching permit. It is available to those formally accepted and enrolled in our program and permits you to teach for 3 years in the area in which you are seeking licensure while you complete our program. Our Director of Teacher Licensure, Kim Overbey, can help certify your permits and can be reached at

  • Are there any grade point requirements (GPA) for admission to the Transition to Teaching program?

    Yes, the TTT applicant must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 3.0 or above for full acceptance into the program. Provisional acceptance could be granted to candidates with a 2.5 to 3.0 grade point average. Candidates with a grade point average lower than 2.5 will be considered on an individual basis.

  • Do I need to maintain a GPA in the program?

    Yes, candidates must maintain a 2.7 GPA and earn at least a C- in all coursework.

  • Is financial aid available for the Transition to Teaching program?

    Yes. There are two potential sources of financial aid. Both are student loans – Federal Stafford Student Loan and Alternative Student Loan Program.

  • How many classes must I take?

    Candidates must meet standards prescribed by the Indiana Department of Education. For the elementary/P-12 programs, candidates meet standards with 24 credit hours, and for the secondary program, candidates meet standards with 18 credit hours.

  • What courses must I take first?

    TTT510 Introduction to the Education Profession and TTT520 Educational Psychology

  • Will Taylor accept transfer credit towards the Transition to Teaching program?

    Yes, up to 50% of the required credit hours for the Transition to Teaching program can be transferred in. Courses previously taken at other institutions will be reviewed on an individual basis to see if they meet content criteria. Only courses with a grade of B or higher and taken within the last ten years can be considered. 

  • What content areas are available?
    • Elementary (K-6)
    • Secondary programs (5-12): Art, Business, Career and Technical Education (Agriculture, Business and Information Technology, Family and Consumer Sciences, Marketing) Chemistry, Chinese, Computer Education, Earth/Space Science, Economics, English Language Arts, French, Geographical Perspectives, German, Government and Citizenship, Health, Historical Perspectives, Japanese, Journalism, Latin, Life Science, Mathematics, Music (Instrumental, Vocal), Physical Education, Physical Science, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Spanish, Theater Arts
    • All-grade (P-12): Art, Chinese, Computer Education, French, German, Japanese, Latin, Library/Media Specialist, Music (Instrumental, Vocal), Physical Education, Reading, Spanish, Technology Education, Theater Arts
  • How do I take the required courses?

    Courses are taken online; however, field experiences in the classroom are required. Prior to taking courses, the candidate must be accepted into the program.

  • How long will it take to complete the program?

    The program is designed to be flexible depending upon the individual candidates. The program could be completed in approximately one to two years if the candidate is willing to commit the time to the program.

  • Must I pass state tests?

    Yes, all candidates must pass a content and pedagogy test through Praxis before receiving licensure from the Indiana Department of Education.

  • Does this program contain field experiences and student teaching?

    Yes, the program contains several courses in which field experiences are mandatory requirements for the course. A full ten-week student teaching experience is required to complete the program.

  • When do I apply for student teaching?

    The candidate should apply a full semester before the anticipated start date of the student teaching experience.

    • Application due date – Feb. 1 for an August-October placement
    • Application due date – Mar. 15 for an October-December placement
    • Application due date – Sept. 1 for a January-March placement
    • Application due date – Oct. 15 for a March-May placement
  • How are student teaching placements made?

    The candidate and the instructor of TTT590 will work together to secure a placement that is appropriate for each individual situation.

  • Are there additional fees for student teaching?

    Candidates student teaching in Indiana are not assessed additional fees. If a candidate is student teaching out of state, there may be additional fees to cover supervision expenses.

  • Can TTT590 Student Teaching be waived?

    Yes, if candidates have taught full-time in their licensure area for 2-3 years, it might be possible to waive student teaching. Documentation of effective teaching and administrative recommendations will be required. Substitute teaching and/or working as an instructional aide does NOT qualify for a student teaching waiver.

  • Can I take a class during student teaching?

    No, student teaching is the capstone class in the program and must be taken only after all other classes are completed.

  • Can I transfer my Indiana state teaching license to another state?

    Yes, many states have reciprocity agreements which ease the transfer of an Indiana state teaching license to another state. Some states only allow for a temporary teaching license while the out-of-state licensed teacher completes an application and additional state specific requirements for a license in that state. Find more information and get links to each state’s procedure regarding reciprocity agreements.


  • How much is tuition?

    Tuition is $400 per credit hour. Graduate tuition is $450 per credit hour. High school students receive a discounted rate of $200 credit hour.

  • Is the cost of textbooks included in tuition?

    No, textbooks are not included in the cost of tuition. Therefore, students have the option of buying only the materials they need and do not currently have access to. We recommend purchasing books from an online vendor such as Amazon.

  • Do you have a tuition payment plan?

    Tuition payment plans are not available. Tuition is paid in full at the time of each course registration.

  • Can I receive financial aid?

    Students enrolled in a degree program with Taylor University Online are eligible for financial aid. Guest students are not eligible for financial aid from Taylor University.

  • Can I receive veterans benefits?

    Yes, our courses have been approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs. Learn more about our benefits for veterans.