Transition to College
Coming to college will be a very different experience from your last 18 or so years of life. You must learn to discipline yourself in order to get up on time for class, complete assignments, and prepare for tests.
Each professor will give you a syllabus detailing due dates for assignments, but it will be your responsibility to know when assignments are due while completing them on time. This can be intimidating at first, but with time, you'll transition to college and be ready for your next step.
Transition to College Program
The Transition to College program at Taylor is intentionally designed to help you be as academically prepared as possible to meet the expectations you will experience in college. Although graduation is never a guarantee, the purpose of these interventions is to increase the likelihood of academic success through graduation. By way of introductory courses, this program trains students in fundamental study habits and equips them with the tools to actively engage in their college experience.
Students meeting at least one of the following criteria will be enrolled in our Transition to College program:
- 2.9 or below high school GPA and combined ACT verbal* and math score of 40 or below
- 2.9 or below high school GPA and combined SAT verbal* and math score of 980 or below
- High school GPA of 2.7 or below
- Combined ACT verbal* and math score of 32 or below
- Combined SAT verbal* and math score of 900 or below
- High school GPA of 2.9 or below and no test scores submitted
Please contact Lance Vanderberg for additional information regarding the Transition to College program and interventions.
* The verbal score is an average: the English score plus the Writing score, divided by two.
The First-Year Experience program, including administrators, faculty, staff, and peer leaders, is committed to helping new students transition to Taylor. Our desire is that through your transition, you will become a contributing, active member of the Taylor community. We trust you will soon begin to feel at home here and will experience the Taylor community at its best.
Please contact Lisa Wallace for additional information regarding the First-Year Experience program.