Advice to incoming students
Do your homework—not only in academics, but in life as preparation for what God has gifted you to do. Always prepare, prepare, prepare . . . to do and be the utmost for His highest, by excelling in the role that God has placed or will place you in.
Why I Enjoy Teaching at Taylor
Great colleagues, wonderful students, beautiful environment.
Major career accomplishments
Originally hailing from the Boston, Mass., area, composer Dana Collins has studied in Toronto, Los Angeles, and Bloomington.
He began his tenure at Taylor University in 1992. He now serves as principal composition instructor (in both traditional and media-focused composing) and as coordinator of the department's music theory curriculum. During his teaching career, Dr. Collins has also taught in Cypress, Calif., at Cypress College and in Fort Wayne, Ind., at Fort Wayne Bible College (later Summit Christian College), and served as advanced theory coordinator at Huntington University (Huntington, Ind.).
Compositional production has included commissions (and performances) in southern California, Bloomington, Marion, Taylor University, MTNA of Indiana, and Amherst, Mass.
Recent highlights include:
- "A Little Help from my Friends": commission for Clarinet and Electronic Media (for colleague Christopher Bade)
- "Concert Music I": Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra (for the Marion Philharmonic and Christopher Bade)
- "Phantasie": for Flute and Piano, commission for the MTNA, Indiana chapter
- "Symphonie for Woodwind Quintet" for the Fullerton Woodwind Quintet
- "Celebratory Prelude" for Brass Orchestra, commissioned for the Sesquicentennial of Taylor University
Church life is also of critical importance in Dr. Collins' life. He has served for several years as elder for Broadway Christian Church in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he and his wife Debra call home.
Dr. Collins also serves as audio recording services coordinator for the department, and has successfully designed, built, and implemented several recording and music creation studio solutions for the University.