Health Science & Preventive Medicine Camp
Learn the basics of biomedical research and preventive medicine with this immersive, hands-on camp. Students interested in pre-med and health sciences gain experience participating as “patients” and “practitioners/researchers” in all assessments. Friday afternoon will feature a showcase of their learned skills.
Dates: June 9–14
What will Health Science & Preventive Medicine Camp be like?
In just five days, you will learn:
- To use panoramic ultrasound to assess muscle wasting from cancer or sarcopenia.
- To conduct a graded exercise test, and monitor EKG for cardiac patients.
- To determine risk for heart attack by assessing vascular compliance.
- To assess chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with pulmonary function testing.
- To test neuromuscular function through targeted volitional sway assessments.
- To evaluate information processing speed through neurocognitive assessments.
- To examine biomarkers of inflammation, stress and brain health.
- What lifestyle medicine looks like in a clinical context at Taylor’s diabetes prevention program.
- Physical therapy concepts and skills through observing a licensed physical therapist and TU faculty member.
Faith in Action at Health Science & Preventive Medicine Camp
As believers, we understand that our bodies are a gift from God. But most of us haven’t really been taught that God wants us to take care of our bodies. At Health Science & Preventive Medicine Camp, you’ll explore our responsibility to use our physical wellbeing for God’s glory, and how to coach others to do the same.