Our Bachelor of Arts in Music prepares you for diverse career opportunities in keeping with the liberal arts tradition of Taylor University. This degree requires a foreign language and combines well with minors in other fields, such as communication, pre-law or business.
The following Bachelor of Music degrees emphasize the development of skills, concepts, and sensitivities essential for the professional life of a musician. As a performer, composer, scholar, or teacher, a professional musician must exhibit technical competence as well as a broad knowledge of music and music literature.
Music Composition, BM
A music composition major prepares you to study further in graduate school, teach theory and/or composition at high school or college levels, and compose or arrange sacred or secular music. It also leads to numerous opportunities in radio, television, and other related fields.
Music Performance, BM
A music performance major offers concentrations in piano, voice and instrumental music performance. This program will prepare you for graduate school and possible careers as a solo performer, accompanist, private teacher, professional ensemble member, conductor, or college professor. This major will assist you in developing organ, piano, voice, brass, percussion, strings, and woodwinds performance skills in areas including technique, interpretation, practice strategies, and performance experiences.
Music Education, BM
Our music education major leads to teacher certification and prepares you to teach in public schools at the elementary, junior high, and senior high school levels. Concentrations include:
- Instrumental: Instrumental music education is designed for piano, brass, percussion, string, and woodwind majors and prepares you to teach instrumental and general music at the elementary and secondary levels (K-12) in the public schools.
- Choral: Choral music education is designed for voice, piano, and organ majors and prepares you to teach choral and general music at the elementary and secondary levels (K-12).
The following Bachelor of Science degrees provide a broad-based musical foundation with concentrations to prepare you for possible vocational opportunities in the music industry, music theatre, or church.
Church Music Ministries, BS
A church music ministries major prepares you as a musician to serve the modern evangelical church in music ministry, worship leading, and pastoral/leadership duties.
Music Management, BS
A music management major provides you with skills in music and basic knowledge of business management principles, in preparation for a career on the business side of the music industry.
Music Marketing, BS
A music marketing major provides you with skills in music and basic knowledge of business marketing principles. These two sides pair up to build a solid foundation for the student interested in doing marketing for the music industry.
Music/Theatre Arts, BS
A music and theatre arts major provides you with skills in music and basic knowledge of theatre productions. The arts-minded individual who enjoys musical productions and desires a career in that field should consider this major.
- Applied Music is designed to increase your skills in performance ability.
- Church Music Ministries prepares you to become worship leader in traditional and contemporary church music programs.
- Keyboard Pedagogy prepares you to teach private piano lessons and operate a professional studio.
- Music Composition is designed to assist you in development of your music composition skills for classical or popular applications.
A concentration in music is also available with a Bachelor's degree in elementary education.
Download the Department of Music Handbook.