FAQ's - New Student Information

J-Term or Spring Semester 

  • Is there a new student orientation program for freshmen and transfer students in J-term or spring semester?

    There is no orientation day prior to the start of classes for mid-year new students. During the first week of classes, in the term you enter (J-term or spring), you will receive an email from the Office of the First Year Experience with helpful information to guide you through the transition to Taylor. Additionally, the Residence Life faculty meet with new students to answer any questions and offer assistance. See First Year Programming for additional information.

  • What is the process for moving into the residence hall?

    Students arriving for J-term may move into their residence hall on Monday, January 2nd at 10:00 a.m. Please check in at the front desk in the lobby for further instructions. Students arriving for spring semester may move in to their residence hall on Sunday, January 28 at 1:00 p.m. For more information see the Residence Life FAQ's and Packing List.

  • Is there a student handbook?
    Yes, the Student Handbook - The Odyssey - is available online. In it you will find information on student services, campus resources, campus directory information, local churches, university policies, and expectations for student conduct.
  • Where do I find out what books I need for classes and where can I buy them?

    The Campus Store is in the Student Union (dome).  All textbooks are available there.  All students are automatically enrolled in Textbook Butler but you may opt out if desired.  Another option for finding your books is to buy them from students on campus.  Students sell their books by posting signs in the residence hall or around campus or join the Groups at Taylor Facebook page where you can join and search on the Free and For Sale or the Textbook Exchange groups. 

  • Are there forms that I need to complete?
    • Student Health Record 
      • You will receive a health form in the mail or via email from Student Development. The health form that must be filled out (copy of immunization records are also needed) and returned prior to the first day of classes. Please read the information carefully, complete the form, and mail it to: Taylor University Student Development,Attention Bev Guffey, 236 W Reade Ave, Upland, IN 46989. You may choose to fax all of the completed forms directly to the office of Student Development at 765.998.4840 or email them to bvguffey@taylor.edu.
    • FERPA Release 
      • As an adult, the student controls who may have access to what, if any information pertaining to the educational record.  If you wish to grant permission to the university to share information with anyone, including your parents, you must submit a signed FERPA release to the Registrar's Office.  You can download the form here: FERPA Form 
  • Where can I find my class schedule?

    You can find your schedule on theTaylor portal > STUDENT tab > TOWER tile > Student Services > Registration > Student Schedule.  If you have any questions about scheduling classes or transferring credits, please contact the registrar's office at 765-998-5129.  Their office is located in the Freimuth Administration Building.

  • Where do I find information about technology services?

    Client Services provides my.taylor account activation and login instructions to incoming students.  Please watch for this information in your email in the coming weeks or contact your admissions counselor.  You can also find helpful information here: Client Services New Student Information 

  • Where do I get my student ID card?

    At Campus Police, located on the lower level of the LaRita R. Boren Student Center. Your student ID is needed for meals in the Dining Commons, checking out books at the library, getting into sporting events, exercising at the Well, etc.

  • Can I have a car on campus?

    Freshmen are not permitted to have cars on campus until after Thanksgiving Break (fall admits) or Spring Break (J-term/spring admits). For further information regarding this policy, see information in the Student Handbook - The Odyssey

  • Where can I get additional information?