Language Learning Courses
You have been called to cross-cultural ministry! Before you go, you need to learn a new language. Let us help you prepare!
Taylor University offers a series of three online courses for new language acquisition. Your communication with those you have been called to serve will be enriched by this training. Our faculty have extensive cross-cultural experience and expertise in second language acquisition. Classes are designed to be flexible, short, and affordable.
- 6 weeks long
- $100 each
You get to determine the start date of your class—any day of the year! Just fill out the enrollment form, pay tuition, and you will be able to start your course the next day. The courses each take approximately 20-30 hours of work to complete. We will support you every step of the way from registration to completion.
The courses all utilize the same textbook, Language Learning in Ministry, by Jan Dormer. Obtain your copy through your preferred book seller.
Course 1: Foundations of Language Learning
- Study the theories and research in the field of language acquisition.
- Debunk popular notions about language learning as myths.
- Learn from long-standing theories that work.
- Learn from stories of real language learners that illustrate concepts and inspire you.
Course 2: Systems and Methods for Language Learning
- See what theories and principles look like in action.
- Evaluate the systems for language acquisition, including schools, programs, courses, and independent study.
- Analyze approaches and curricula that might be utilized.
- Get an overview of dozens of methods, techniques, and strategies that can contribute to successful language learning.
Course 3: Personalization of Language Learning
- Personalize and contextualize all the previous learning.
- Consider your individual qualities, family needs and realities, ministry goals, and the language you will be learning.
- Undergo a series of self-assessments which will result in a unique language learner profile.
- Devise your own language learning plan, through dialogue with the course instructor.
You have been called to go. Let us help you prepare!
Meet Dr. Jan Dormer. She is the Program Director and Professor of TESOL at Taylor University. Jan has a heart for cross-cultural ministry and will delight in supporting you as you prepare to serve. She draws on her own ministry experiences in Brazil, Indonesia and Kenya, as a language learner and language teacher, to encourage you as you take the next step.
Director of TESOL and ESL & Professor of TESOL
- EdD, TESOL Curriculum, Teaching and Learning, University of Toronto
- MA, TESOL, Ball State University
- BA, Elementary Education, Asbury College
Natalie Bussell is here to answer questions and support you throughout registration to course completion.
Ready to register (and begin) your course? Fill out the enrollment form, select the first course, and complete payment when prompted.