The Taylor Equestrian Team has been competing in IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association) shows for 40 years. Coached by Jenny Norton Schamber of Rope this Ranch, the riders learn and show hunt seat, an English style of riding.
Riders of all levels, both male and female, share a love for horses and a desire to increase their knowledge and ability of riding. We strive to glorify God through our riding and to exemplify Jesus Christ in our words, attitudes, and hard work. The team is open to all full-time Taylor University students, regardless of ability or horse ownership.
Requirements for the Team Include:
- Taking lessons at least once a week
- $350/semester for lessons once a week (10 lessons)
- $550/semester for lessons twice a week (20 lessons)
- Paying team dues
- $45/year IHSA/USHJA dues
- Working at Taylor’s home shows
- Showing at half of the offered shows per semester
- $40 per class/away shows
- $7 per class/home shows
- The team covers the cost of show transportation, food, and lodging
Typical Horse Show Schedule
Taylor competes against Ball State University, Butler University, DePauw University, Earlham College, University of Illinois, Indiana University, Purdue University, Saint-Mary-of-the-Wood’s College, as well as several other schools.
- Fall Schedule
- Three to four weekends between the end of September to early December
- Spring Schedule
- Two weekends between February and March
- Regionals in March (required to qualify)
- Zones in April (required to qualify)
- Nationals in May (required to qualify)
Rope this Ranch is an English and western riding stable located less than 2 miles from campus. It has a spacious indoor and outdoor arena. The stables are owned and operated by Jenny Norton Schamber who has over 20 years of experience training horses professionally. Jenny rode for Taylor’s first equestrian team coach, T.J. Leblanc at JTL Stables, Marion, IN and went on to be a part of the Ball State Equestrian Team. She has competed in riding disciplines ranging from hunt seat to dressage to barrel racing to western pleasure. Jenny also works as the Assistant Director of the Counseling Center at Taylor.
9164 E 825 S
Upland, IN 46060
Barn visits are by appointment only and can be coordinated through the Admissions Office.
Equestrian Team Advisor
236 W. Reade Avenue
Upland, IN 46989
For show updates and announcements, follow the Equestrian Team on Instagram!
Equestrian Team Celebrates 40 Years
Apr 14, 2022
The Equestrian Team welcomes students both with and without experience. Students learn western and English riding and compete at their skill level in a...