Dr. Colleen Warren
Professor of English
Office Location: Reade 209
Phone: (765) 998-5250
Specialties: flannery o'connor, modern american literature, southern women writers
Vitae PDF: Dr. Colleen Warren's Printable Vitae
209 Reade Center
236 W. Reade Ave.
Upland, IN 46989-1001
Ph.D., 1992, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Major Field: Twentieth Century American Literature
Dissertation: "A 'Hard Unwinking Angry Point of Light' and 'The Fluctuation of Starlight': Female Identity in the Short Fiction of Katherine Anne Porter and Eudora Welty"
Directed by Anne Goodwyn Jones
M.A., 1987, University of Florida
Thesis: "'And Grace Will Lead Me Home': The Workings of Grace in the Mother/Child Relationships in Flannery O'Connor's Short Stories"
B.A., 1981, Olivet Nazarene College, Kankakee, Illinois
Major: English education; Minor: Speech communications
HONORS, AWARDS, AND FELLOWSHIPS
Selected for NEH Seminar, June 13-July 15, 2005, Faulkner and Southern History, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Awarded sabbatical at Taylor University, spring 2003
Awarded tenure at Taylor University, August 1998
Houghton Institute for Integrative Studies, Houghton College (NY), June 1-19, 1998
Lilly Endowment, Summer Stipend for the Preparation of New Courses, Summer 1995, $5000
Belhaven Award, Second Prize Paper, Christianity and Literature Southeastern Region, Jackson, MS March 24-26, 1994
Christian College Coalition New Faculty Workshop "Christianity and the Liberal Arts" Whitworth College, Spokane, WA, May 27-June 1, 1993.
Elected to Phi Beta Kappa, March 1993
Graduate School Humanities Fellowship, $6000, Spring & Summer 1992
President's Award for Outstanding Student Involvement, Spring 1990, University of Florida
Award-potential rank: teaching evaluation, Fall 1989
Excellent rankings: teaching evaluations, 1986-91
NEH Fellowship, Summer Seminar for Secondary School Teachers: "Reinterpreting American Literature" and "Studies in the Genres" Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, June 1983
Summa Cum Laude graduate, Olivet Nazarene College, May 1981
2002-present Full Professor of English, Taylor University
1997-02 Associate Professor of English, Taylor University
1992-97 Assistant Professor of English, Taylor University
1986-91 Teaching Assistant, University of Florida
1988-91 Proctor, Essay Grader, and Key Validator of College Level Academic Skills Test (CLAST)
1984-85 High School English Teacher, grades 11-12, Crescent City, FL
1981-84 High School English Teacher, grades 9-12, Wenona, IL
ENG 442 Modern American Literature
ENG 444 Contemporary Literature
ENG 340 American Realism and Romanticism
ENG 330 Early American Literature
ENG 370 The American South and Its Literature
ENG 370 The Fictitious Christian
ENG 233 Literary London
ENG 212 Critical Approaches to Literature
ENG 240 American Literature
ENG 110 Expository Writing
University of Florida
ENC 3302 Advanced Composition
AML 2023 American Literature: Crane to the Present
AML 3124 American Fiction: 1900 to World War II
AML 2012 American Literature Through Crane
ENC 1102 Writing About Literature
ENC 1101 Expository Writing
Annie Dillard and the Word Made Flesh: An Incarnational Theory of Language. Bethlehem: Lehigh University Press, 2010 (forthcoming)
"(R)evolutions of Change: Female Alterability in 'The Children' and 'At The Landing'" Southern Quarterly 36.1 (Fall 1997):51-63.
"A Filament Spinning Outward: Female Identity Reconceptualization in Porter's Fiction. Southern Studies 4.4 (Winter 1993): 377-90.
ENG 240 Syllabus in The Heath Anthology of American Literature Newsletter (Spring 1995): 11-13.
"A 'Hard Unwinking Angry Point of Light': Surviving the War in 'Pale Horse, Pale Rider'"
Proceedings: The Image of War (Pueblo: University of Southern Colorado Press, 1992).
"Wentworth in the Garden of Gomorrah: A Study of the Anima in Descent into Hell" Mythlore 13.2 (Winter 1986): 41-44, 54.
CONFERENCE PAPERS PRESENTED
“Memory and Movement in Elizabeth Spencer’s ‘First Dark’” Southern Women Writers Conference, Berry College, Mt. Berry, GA September 24-26, 2009.
"Talking to Trees: A Search for a Room of One's Own" Indiana College English Association, Indiana Wesleyan University, October 12, 2007.
"Sacred Spaces and Symbolic Systems," Midwest MLA Conference, Chicago, IL November, 2006.
"Writing the Language of God: Annie Dillard's Treatment of Prayer" Southern Women Writers Conference, Berry College, Mt. Berry, GA, September 22-24, 2005.
"Sacramental Space as a Locus of Meaning in Annie Dillard's Holy the Firm" College English Association Conference, Indianapolis, IN, March 30-April 2, 2005.
"The Word in the World: Annie Dillard's Vocation as Self-Location" Southern Women Writers Conference, Berry College, Mt. Berry, GA, October 16-18, 2003.
"South, North, and East: Regional Embodiments of Annie Dillard's Incarnational Theory of Language" Southern Writers Symposium, Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC, September 19-20, 2003
"In the Word: Annie Dillard's Incarnational Theory of Language" American Literature Association Conference, Cambridge, MA, May 22-25, 2003.
"Churning and Talking: Katie Rainey's Dialogic Identity in 'The Wanderers'" American Literature Association Conference; Baltimore, MD; May 27-30, 1999.
"Discussing Discussion" CCCU Quality/Retention Project, Promoting Excellence in Christian Higher Education, Pt. Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA February 25-28, 1999.
"Uncovering 'Sexts': Feminine Writing in Two Plath Poems" Midwest Christianity and Literature Conference, Taylor University, April 17-18, 1998.
"She Could Have Sung: Catherine Morrison as Presence in 'The Wanderers'" Eudora Welty, Warren, 2010 Mississippi Home Ties Conference, Jackson, MS, April 10-13, 1997.
"Defining/Designing Women: Katherine Anne Porter's and Eudora Welty's Conceptions of Female Identity" Southern Women Writers Conference, Berry College, Rome, GA, April 12-14, 1996.
"The (M)otherness of Grace: Encounters with the Other in Two O'Connor Stories" Christianity and Literature Western Regional Meeting, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA May 5-6, 1995.
"(En)gendering Grace: Mother-Daughter Identification in Two O'Connor Stories" Christianity and Literature Midwest Conference, Greenville College, Greenville, IL March 31-April 1,1995.
"Unwinding the Watch: Female Redemption in Eudora Welty's 'Livvie'" Christianity and Literature Southeastern Regional Meeting, Belhaven College, Jackson, MS March 24- 26, 1994.
Panel Discussion, "Sacred Cows and Sacrificial Lambs: Negotiating the Canon" Indiana College English Association Conference, "Literature for Life: Exploding the Canon" October 30, 1992
"A 'Hard Unwinking Angry Point of Light': Surviving the War in 'Pale Horse, Pale Rider'" The Image of War Conference, Colorado Springs, CO March 5-7, 1992
"A 'Hard Unwinking Angry Point of Light'": Female Identity in 'Pale Horse, Pale Rider'" (Re)Fusing the Frame, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA February 14-15, 1992
"A Stroke of Grace Not Taken" Flannery O'Connor Conference, West Chester University, West Chester, PA October 1987
"Waters of Redemption and Ruination: An Analysis of the Baptismal Motif in All Hallow's Eve" Southern Conference on Christianity and Literature, University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA October 2-4, 1986
"Wentworth in the Garden of Gomorrah: A Study of the Anima in Descent into Hell" 17th Annual Mythopoeic Conference, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA June 1986
Phi Beta Kappa, 1992-
College English Association, 2006
Modern Language Association, 2006
Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators 2001-07
Eudora Welty Society, 1994-
- Race director, Jingle Bell Jog, to raise money for Lighthouse/Bibles for China, December 2008, 2009
- Helped plan Undergraduate English Conference, Taylor University, February 2006, 2009
- Hosted Major Event cookout for English majors 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
- UCAP member, 2005-06
- Graduate Council committee member, 2003-06
- Foundations of Christian Thought Discussion Group leader, Fall 2001
- Edited Lilly Grant Proposal, Christian Vocation, July-September 2001
- Evaluated library book holdings in American literature, July 2001
- Mentored non-traditional student, 2000-01
- Edited Education Department Document, NCATE Report, 2000
- Wrote 3 devotionals for Taylor's devotional book, This Cloud of Witnesses
- Teacher Education Committee, Fall 1999- Spring 2002
- Interview Committee, Library Director, Summer 2000
- Curriculum Management Committee replacement member for Betty Messer, October-December 1997
- Divisional social event committee, 1997-8
- Chair, Organizing committee for Christianity and Literature Conference held at Taylor April 17 & 18, 1998
- General Education Goal Statements Focus Group, April 1996
- Organizer, junior English majors Senior Project Information meeting, 1994-2009
- Developed Correspondence Course, ENG 240--American Literature, for TU Correspondence Studies; completed January 1996
- Co-Promoter of dramatic production of Samson Agonistes, March 1995
- Chairman of Social Event Committee for Division, 1994-95
- Evaluated Leadership Scholarship Applications, October 1994
- Student Advisor, English Department, Taylor University, 1993-
- Senior Paper Director, 1992-
- Summer Orientation/Registration 1994-2000, 2005-
- Secretary, English Department Meetings, Taylor University, 1992-94; 1995-97; 1999-2006
- Interim Sigma Tau Delta Sponsor, 1993-94, during Nancy Dayton's leave of absence
- Nominating Committee replacement member, 1993-94
Community and Professional
- Evaluated student writing submissions, Conference for Christianity and Literature Student Writing Competition, 2009, 2010
- Junior High Girls' Bible Study Group Leader, 2006
- Nursery volunteer, Upland Community Church, 2002-
- VBS volunteer, Upland Community Church, 2002, 2003
- Second grade Sunday School teacher, Upland Community Church, 2001-02
- Children's Church teacher, Westview Wesleyan Church, 1998-
- Participant in "Spokes of Hope" for Crisis Pregnancy Center, September 1997-99
- Co-teacher with husband of Children's Church, Lakeview Wesleyan Church, 1995-96 Warren, 2010