Bachelor of Arts in Music
The Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in music is designed for the student who is primarily interested in a liberal arts degree with a focus in music. The broadly based degree program prepares students for diverse career opportunities in keeping with the liberal arts tradition of Taylor University. This degree program is particularly suitable for combination with minors in other fields such as communication, pre-law or business.
Bachelor of Music
The Bachelor of Music degree is the initial professional collegiate degree in music. Its primary emphasis is on development of the skills, concepts and sensitivity essential to the professional life of a musician. In any of the roles as performer, composer, scholar or teacher, the professional musician must function as a practitioner who exhibits not only technical competence but also broad knowledge of music and music literature. A student may decide to have a Bachelor of Music in either Music Composition, or Music Performance.
- B.M. Music Composition Major is offered to students who are interested in further studies in graduate school, teaching theory/composition in either high school or college, for composing and/or arranging sacred or secular music, as well as numerous opportunities in radio, television and other related fields.
- B.M. Music Performance Major is offered to students in organ, piano, voice, brass, percussion, strings and woodwinds. This program prepares students for graduate school and possible careers as solo performers, accompanists, private teachers, professional ensemble members, conductors or as college teachers. This major will assist students in developing piano, voice and instrumental performance skills including the following elements: technique, interpretation, practice strategies and performance experiences.
- B.M. in Music Education Major leads to teacher certification and prepares and certifies the student to teach in the public schools on the elementary, junior high and senior high school levels. Areas of specialization are provided, depending on the interests and background of the student.
- Instrumental – designed for piano, brass, percussion, string and woodwind majors – prepares students to teach instrumental and general music at the elementary and secondary levels (K-12) in the public schools.
- Choral – designed for voice, piano and organ majors – prepares students to teach choral and general music at the elementary and secondary levels (K-12)
Bachelor of Science in Music
The Bachelor of Science in Music is a liberal arts degree designed to provide for the student a broad-based musical foundation which, combined with concentrations in management, marketing, theatre arts or church music ministries prepares the student for possible vocational opportunities in the music industry, music theatre or the church.
- B.S. Church Music Ministries – prepares musicians for service to the modern evangelical church in music ministry, worship leading and pastoral/leadership duties.
- B.S. Music Management – provides the student with skills in music and basic knowledge of business management principles.
- B.S. Music Marketing – provides the student with skills in music and basic knowledge of business marketing principles.
- B.S. Music/Theatre Arts – provides the student with skills in music and basic knowledge of theatre productions.
- Applied Music - designed to increase skills in performance ability.
- Church Music Ministries - prepares students to become worship leaders in traditional and contemporary church music programs.
- Keyboard Pedagogy - prepares the student to teach private piano lessons and operate a professional studio.
- Music Composition - designed to assist the student in development of their music composition skills for classical or popular applications.
A concentration in Music is also available with a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.