Bachelor of Arts in Music
Our Bachelor of Arts in Music prepares you for diverse career opportunities in keeping with the liberal arts tradition of Taylor University. This degree program combines well with minors in other fields such as communication, pre-law or business.
Bachelor of Music
The Bachelor of Music degree’s primary emphasis is on development of the skills, concepts, and sensitivities essential for the professional life of a musician. As a performer, composer, scholar, or teacher, a professional musician must function as a practitioner who exhibits not only technical competence but also broad knowledge of music and music literature.
A music composition major prepares you for further study in graduate school, teaching theory and/or composition at high school or college levels, composing and/or arranging sacred or secular music. It also leads to numerous opportunities in radio, television, and other related fields.
B.M. Music Performance Major
A music performance major offers concentrations in piano, voice and instrumental. This program will prepare you for graduate school and possible careers as solo performers, accompanists, private teachers, professional ensemble members, conductors, or college professors. This major will assist you in developing organ, piano, voice, brass, percussion, strings, and woodwinds performance skills including the following elements: technique, interpretation, practice strategies, and performance experiences.
Our music education major leads to teacher certification and prepares you to teach in public schools at the elementary, junior high, and senior high school levels. Concentrations include:
- Instrumental: Instrumental music education is designed for piano, brass, percussion, string, and woodwind majors and prepares you to teach instrumental and general music at the elementary and secondary levels (K-12) in the public schools.
- Choral: Choral music education is designed for voice, piano, and organ majors and prepares you to teach choral and general music at the elementary and secondary levels (K-12).
Bachelor of Science in Music
The Bachelor of Science in Music provides a broad-based musical foundation and concentrations in management, marketing, theatre arts, or church music ministries to prepare you for possible vocational opportunities in the music industry, music theatre, or church.
- B.S. Church Music Ministries prepares you as a musician for service to the modern evangelical church in music ministry, worship leading and pastoral/leadership duties.
- B.S. Music Management provides you with skills in music and basic knowledge of business management principles.
- B.S. Music Marketing provides you with skills in music and basic knowledge of business marketing principles.
- B.S. Music/Theatre Arts provides you with skills in music and basic knowledge of theatre productions.
- Applied Music is designed to increase your skills in performance ability.
- Church Music Ministries prepares you to become worship leader in traditional and contemporary church music programs.
- Keyboard Pedagogy prepares you to teach private piano lessons and operate a professional studio.
- Music Composition is designed to assist you in development of your music composition skills for classical or popular applications.
A concentration in music is also available with a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.