Within the Christian Educational Ministries program, you have the opportunity to major in Youth Ministry, working specifically with teens, impacting their spiritual formation, and equipping them to become better at being a disciple and making disciples.
Youth ministry requires engagement with difficult and specific issues facing youth today and becoming a Christ-like influence as you build relationships and develop curriculum to reach lost teens and equip young believers to reach their peers.
What can you do with a Youth Ministry Major?
The Youth Ministry major prepares students for doing ministry with adolescents in a wide variety of ministries. Here are a few examples:
- Church: Youth Pastor, Associate Pastor, Christian Education Director
- Para Church leadership and involvement: Youth for Christ, Young Life, InterVarsity, Cru, Navigators, etc.
- Missions: Trainer, linguist, church planter, teacher, student mobilizer
- Inner City: Youth center director, recreation director, house parent
- Christian Camping: Director, assistant director, retreat center director
- Christian College: Resident hall director, student development leader, student ministry director, and with more studies, a professor of Christian Education
- Writing: Sunday school curriculum, books, magazine editor, book editor
- Christian High School: Bible teacher, director of missions, coach.
- Media Specialist: Youth film, music, video, communications
Youth Ministry Alums
Don’t just take our word for it. Here are a few testimonies from our youth ministry graduates. Have questions? Contact Dr. Mike Severe today!
Dan Aikins ’10
“Upon graduating, I moved to Colorado Springs to serve as a 15-month apprentice in the high school ministry at Vanguard Church. In January 2011, the high school pastor at Vanguard moved to another position within the church, and I was invited to serve as a co-interim high school pastor along with the other high school apprentice. During that time, I was interviewing for a position I was in during my practicum in 2009 at the Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church. I was offered that job, and I moved to Houston to serve as the middle school discipleship director. I am also studying for a Masters of Divinity at Fuller Seminary in Texas. I am amazed by God's sovereignty and how He has worked out my story so far since graduating. God is good!”
Katie Barnes ’10
“After graduating from Taylor, I came on staff with South Pointe Youth For Christ as a Campus Life Director in Valparaiso, Indiana. I absolutely love my job! I lead a group of volunteers and together we invest time and energy into the lives of students as we teach them about Christ, help them navigate adolescence, and get them plugged into a local church.”
Mike Farnsley ’08
“During my time at Taylor University, I lived on Foundation in Sammy Morris Hall, majored in Christian Educational Ministries, and minored in Biblical Literature and Youth Ministry. Since graduating in May 2008, I have been serving full-time in youth ministry. I currently serve as Director of Student Ministries at Kodak United Methodist Church in Kodak, Tennessee, where I oversee ministry to middle school, high school and college students. I am currently pursuing a Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky. During my junior year at Taylor, I met Sarah (Wilson) Farnsley '09 and we married in August 2009. We welcomed our first child, a boy named Miles Andrew, into the world in September 2011. My younger brother Brian Farnsley graduated from Taylor in 2011 with a degree in psychology. I am thankful God has given me the privilege of being a husband, a father, a pastor and most importantly, His son.”