Presidential Search Continues
- Published: Jul 14, 2015 1:45PM
Taylor University officials say they are pleased with the progress of the search for Taylor University's next President. The search began in late May when current Taylor President, Dr. Eugene B. Habecker, announced that the 2015-2016 academic year will be his final year as President of Taylor University.
A Presidential Search Committee has been mobilized to identify potential presidential nominees. The committee anticipates presenting a final candidate to the Board of Trustees in February 2016.
Taylor's Presidential Search Committee has paired with the respected executive search firm CarterBaldwin. During recent weeks, the Committee has developed a Candidate Profile of Taylor University distinctions and the qualifications for our next leader.
Gene and Marylou Habecker are both 1968 alumni of Taylor University. After successful terms of presidential service at Huntington University and the American Bible Society, the Habeckers returned to their Alma Mater in 2005. The highlights of their time at Taylor include:
- Raising $180 million for operating, endowment, and capital projects;
- Construction of major campus facilities, including the Memorial Prayer Chapel, Euler Science Complex, and the LaRita Boren Campus Center, which is slated for opening next spring;
- Enhanced student living spaces with the construction of the Campbell and Wolgemuth apartment complexes and Breuninger residence hall;
- Major upgrades to Taylor’s athletic and physical education facilities that include construction of the Eichling Aquatics Wing of the Kesler Student Activities Center, a combined football and soccer stadium and lighted practice facility, and refurbished Odle Arena, Winterholter Field (baseball) and Gudakunst Field (softball);
- Establishment of the Spencer Centre for Global Engagement, Center for Scripture Engagement, Bedi Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, Center for the Study of CS Lewis and Friends, and Center for Missions Computing;
- Establishment of international centers, study programs and/or exchange programs with institutions in China, Ecuador, Ireland, Liberia, and South Korea;
- Comprehensive campus beautification and landscaping initiatives;
- Creation of a Strategic Directions 2026 document outlining future goals for the university;
- Eight straight years during which Taylor University has been ranked the number one Midwest University in the category “Best Regional Colleges” in the U.S. News & World Report survey of “America's Best Colleges.”
From the Habeckers: Marylou and I love Taylor University and its students, faculty and staff. Serving in this role, fully committed to helping prepare the next generation of global Christian leaders, has been and remains for us the highest of callings. We look forward to having an excellent year ahead as we wrap up a variety of projects and otherwise do everything we can to enable Taylor University to have its best years ever under the leadership of our successors.