Winter Advisory Reminders and Procedures
With the cold winter months of Indiana now upon us, we find ourselves once again planning for periods of snow and ice on our beautiful campus. With this in mind, we offer these simple reminders and procedures designed to maintain a safe environment for all of the Taylor University Community.
Winter Safety Reminder
- Certainly, with the cold weather, comes the snow and ice on the roads, sidewalks, and parking lots. Please use care and caution when walking and driving anywhere on campus and keep in mind the ‘black ice" that is prevalent this time of year, may not be readily visible, but it could still be there. Leave a little earlier than usual to allow yourself more time to get to safely your destination.
- Along with leaving a little earlier, take the time to warm up your vehicle and thoroughly clean off your windows of any snow and ice for proper visibility. It is not only unsafe to operate your vehicle while looking through a small hole scraped in your windshield, but could also constitute a violation of Indiana Motor Vehicle Law regarding a vision obstructions of the windows. This certainly presents a real hazard to you, other motorists, and pedestrian traffic.
- Should you observe a specific area in need of immediate attention due to slick and hazardous conditions, i.e. driveways, sidewalks, parking lots, or campus roadways, please contact Campus Safety immediately, so we can advise Buildings and Grounds of the condition.
- In the event that you are injured in a slip and fall anywhere on campus property, please report the incident to Campus Safety as soon as it is possible to do so.
- Lastly, as a reminder during the threat of inclement weather, please tune to one of the following stations for updates and relevant information:
Snow Removal Procedures
- If you plan to be away from campus for extended periods of time (three days or longer) during the winter months (December, January, February and March), please park your vehicle in the south Rediger Auditorium parking lot.
- If a vehicle is preventing snow plows from clearing any university parking lot or roadway, the Department of Campus Safety will attempt to contact the owner regarding the immediate removal of that vehicle. If the Department of Campus Safety is unable to contact the owner, a wrecker service will be employed to remove the vehicle at the OWNER'S EXPENSE. Towed vehicles will be transported to the soccer field parking area and will remain there until all expenses have been paid by the owner. A Campus Safety officer will remain at the scene until the towing process is complete. Taylor University will not be responsible for accidental damages that might occur during this procedure.
- There will be NO OVERNIGHT PARKING (12 midnight until 7:00 am) allowed during the months of December, January, February and March in the following parking lots:
Freimuth Administration Building, Student Union, Reade Memorial Liberal Arts Center, Helena Memorial Hall, Nussbaum Science Center, Zondervan Library, north Rediger Auditorium, Modell Metcalf Visual Arts Center, Randall Environmental Studies Center, the west half of the Hodson Dining Commons lot, and the west half of the Odle Gymnasium lot
- Unless absolutely necessary, please do not drive on campus during periods of snow and ice, so that snow removal can proceed safely and efficiently.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please contact the Taylor Police Department if you should have any questions regarding this or any other campus safety issue.