Taylor University Prepares for Largest Freshman Class in its HistoryBy Jim Garringer Published: Aug 22, 2012
Taylor University officials are set to welcome the largest incoming freshman class in school history. An expected 560 new students are set to arrive this weekend: 518 of them being freshmen and 42 additional transfer students.
Freshman and transfer students move-in is scheduled for Friday, August 24.
Taylor’s Director of Admissions Amy Barnett says that in addition to its size, the freshman class is also distinctive in other areas that include:
- More than 200 who achieved a 4.0 GPA in high school
- An average ACT score of 27
- An average SAT score of 1158 (writing sample not included)
- 61 class members (12%) who are ethnic students
- 47 (9%) are American ethnic students (most in Taylor’s history)
- 15 are international students representing 13 countries
- 127 (24%) of the freshman class have had a parent or sibling attend Taylor
- 230 men; 288 women
“Our Admissions office was working on an initiative to increase the amount of students coming from Indiana,” said Barnett. “Those efforts have resulted in 37% of the class coming from the State. We know that there are a lot of college options in Indiana, and we are pleased to have more and more students selecting Taylor.”
Barnett added that 138 of the incoming freshmen plan to major in science, a rise from previous years and a development believed to be linked to the recent opening of Taylor’s new $41.4 million Euler Science Complex.