Heritage Weekend Features Concert, Taylathon, GrandparentsBy Jared Hammond Published: Apr 24, 2014
Taylor University’s 2014 Heritage Weekend will be Friday, April 25, and Saturday, April 26. The weekend event will bring in hundreds of alumni, family members, and friends to Taylor’s campus for special events, food and music.
The goal of Heritage Weekend is to celebrate Taylor University’s mission with its alumni and friends. Heritage Weekend begins Friday with Grandparents Day activities. This day is set aside for the grandparents of Taylor University students to visit campus, attend chapel and classes, attend a concert, and enjoy spend time with their grandchildren.
Taylathon, a longtime Taylor tradition, will celebrate its 60th year this year. The event consists of men’s and women’s bicycle races with teams from the freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior classes. Taylathon begins at 11:00 a.m., Saturday and will be held on a sidewalk course through the campus.
Other events include:
- Distinguished Faculty Lecture: School of Natural and Applied Sciences – Speaker Mike Guebert, 4:00 p.m., Thursday, Euler Science Complex, Room #109
- Taylor Writing Center Writing Walls, all weekend, Zondervan Library, Engstrom Galleria
- Art Studio Senior Exhibit, all weekend, Metcalf Gallery
- Center for Missions Computing Open House, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Friday, Euler Science Complex, Heliostat Rotunda Lower Level
- C.S. Lewis Collection Open House, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Friday, Zondervan Library, Lower Level
- Grandparents Day Concert featuring the TU Symphony Orchestra, 4:00 p.m., Friday, Rediger Chapel/Auditorium
- Service of Remembrance and Hope, 5:15 p.m., Friday, Memorial Prayer Chapel
- C.S. Lewis and Friends Society Meeting: The Poetry of C.S. Lewis, 10:00 a.m., Saturday, Zondervan Library, Rice Lounge
- Taylathon, 11:00 a.m.
- Taylor Picnic, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Saturday
- Council of 100 and Bishop William Taylor Society Reception, 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Muselman House (The President’s Home), Great Room
- Brahms to Broadway Concert, 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Rediger Chapel/Auditorium