Author Os Guinness to Receive Honorary Doctorate from Taylor UniversityPublished: Mar 21, 2017
Os Guinness, speaker, Christian apologist, religious rights advocate, and the author of more than 20 books that include A Free People’s Suicide and Time for Truth, will be awarded an honorary doctorate by Taylor University officials during ceremonies next week.
Guinness will receive a Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa, on Wednesday, March 29, at 10:00 a.m., in Rediger Chapel/Auditorium.
Prior to moving to the United States in 1984, Guinness was a freelance reporter with the BBC. He has also been a Guest Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Studies, a Guest Scholar and Visiting Fellow at the Brookings Institution, and Senior Fellow at the Trinity Forum and the EastWest Institute in New York.
From 1986 to 1989, Guinness served as Executive Director of the Williamsburg Charter Foundation, a bicentennial celebration of the First Amendment. In this position he helped to draft The Williamsburg Charter and later The Global Charter of Conscience, which was published at the European Union Parliament in 2012. Guinness has spoken at dozens of the world’s major universities, and spoken widely to political and business conferences on many issues, including religious freedom, across the world. He is currently a senior fellow at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics in Oxford.
Guinness completed his undergraduate degree at the University of London and his Doctor of Philosophy (D.Phil) in the social sciences from Oriel College, Oxford.
His books include:
- The Dust of Death: A Critique of the Establishment and the Counterculture and the Proposal for a Third Way
- In Two Minds: The Dilemma of Doubt & How to Resolve It
- The Gravedigger File
- The American Hour: A Time of Reckoning and the Once and Future Role of Faith
- Dining with the Devil: The Megachurch Movement Flirts with Modernity
- The Dust of Death: The Sixties Counterculture and How It Changed America Forever
- Fit Bodies Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do About It
- God in the Dark: The Assurance of Faith Beyond a Shadow of Doubt
- The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life
- Character Counts: Leadership Qualities in Washington, Wilberforce, Lincoln, and Solzhenitsyn
- Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype and Spin
- Steering Through Chaos: Vice and Virtue in an Age of Moral Confusion
- The Great Experiment: Faith and Freedom in America
- Long Journey Home: A Guide to Your Search for the Meaning of Life
- Prophetic Untimeliness: A Challenge to the Idol of Relevance
- Unspeakable: Facing Up to the Challenge of Evil
- The Case for Civility: And Why Our Future Depends on It
- The Last Christian on Earth: Uncover the Enemy's Plot to Undermine the Church
- A Free People's Suicide: Sustainable Freedom and the American Future
- The Global Public Square: Religious Freedom and the Making of a World Safe for Diversity
- Renaissance: The Power of the Gospel However Dark the Times
- Fool’s Talk: Recovering the Art of Christian Persuasion