Dr. Scott Adams
Professor of BusinessOffice Location: Reade 108
Phone: (765) 998-5277
Specialties: Finance, Endowment management, Financial planning, investments
Vitae PDF: Dr. Scott Adams's Printable Vitae
Dr. Scott Alan Adams
236 W. Reade Avenue
Upland, IN 46989
D.B.A., Finance, December 2005, Anderson University.
M.A., Economics, June 1998, University of Toledo.
B.A., Economics, Cum Laude, June 1991, Otterbein College.
Taylor University, Fall 2000 to present
- Dean, School of Business, June 2007 – June 2011
- Associate Professor of Finance, Fall 2007 – present
- Acting Chair, Business Division, August 2006 – June 2007
- Practicum Coordinator, Spring 2006 – 2008
- Assistant Professor of Finance and Economics, Fall 2003 – Spring 2007
- Advisor to Student Managed Endowment Accounts, January 2003 - present
- Instructor of Finance and Economics, Fall 2000 - Spring 2003
Indiana Wesleyan University, Spring 2006 – present
- Adjunct professor, MBA program
Southwest Baptist University, Spring 2009 – present
- Adjunct Professor, MBA program
RELATED BUSINESS CAREER
Creative Finance Designs, Investments, 2005 to present
Oberlin Financial, 2000 – 2004
Merrill Lunch, 1997 - 2000
- Financial Consultant, Certified Financial Manager (CFM)
Mariner Financial Services, 1994 – 1997
Kenney Shoe Corporation (Foot Locker Division), 1991 – 1994
- Assistant Manager
“Financial Department Leadership for Transforming the Corporation” (2005). Strategies for Effective Leadership: U.S. and Russian Perspective. Author House. Pp. 165 – 178.
“A Pedagogical Comparison Between the use of Instructor-Led In-Class Cases and Student-Led Out-of-Class Cases” with Kent Saunders (2007, Winter). Journal of Economics and Financial Education, 6, 2. Pp. 39 – 47.
A Pedagogical Comparison in Introductory Corporate Finance (2008). Saarbrucken, Germany: VDM Verlag.
“Fleeting, but not Fading: A Faith Perspective on Today’s Economy” (2009, Winter). Taylor Magazine, vol. 101. Pp. 14 – 15.
Review of Business as Mission: A Comprehensive Guide to Theory and Practice by C. Neal Johnson w/ Jeff Sherlock (Fall, 2010). Christian Scholars Review, 40, 1. Pp. 131-133.
Review of The Missional Entrepreneur: Principles and Practices for Business as Missions by Mark L. Russell (October, 2010). Evangelical Missions Quarterly. Pp. 509-510.
“John Wesley and the Goal of Maximizing Shareholder Wealth” (2011, Spring). Christian Business Academy Review, vol. 6, 1. Pp. 15 – 18.
Review of Why Business Matters to God (And What Still Needs to Be Fixed) by Jeff Van Duzer (Fall 2011). Christian Scholars Review, 41, 1. Pp. 108-110.
"Eastern Orthodox Fathers and Work Ethic" Presented at Nizhni Novgorod University, Russia in 2001.
"Teaching Brokerage Preparation at the College Level" Presented at the Christian Business Faculty Association (CBFA) 2001 annual conference.
“On the Promise: Ethical Issues with Layoffs” Presented at the Christian Business Faculty Association (CBFA) 2002 annual conference.
“Finance Department Leadership for Transforming the Corporation” Presented at the Business Leadership Conference at Taylor University in 2004.
“Russian Stock Market Operations and Efficiency” Presented at Nizhni Novgorod University, Russia in 2005
“A Pedagogical Comparison Between Instructor-Led In-Classroom Cases and Student-Led Out-of-Classroom Cases” Presented at the “No Educator Left Behind” Conference 2006, Indianapolis, IN.
“A Comparative Study of Student-Led Out-Of-Class and Instructor Led In-Class Case Study Projects in Introductory Corporate Finance” Doctorate Showcase at the Christian Business Faculty Association (CBFA) 2006 annual conference.
“Employment Outcomes for Students Participating in a Series 7 Examination Preparation Class During College” Presented at the Financial Education Association (FEA) 2007 annual conference, Bermuda.
“How to Teach a Hybrid Course” Presented at the Technology for Teaching 2008 annual conference. Upland, IN.
“Using Blackboard to Operate a Student Managed Endowment Account” Presented at the Mid-West Scholars Conference 2009, Indianapolis, IN
“Classroom Technology and Student Endowment Accounts” Presented at the Financial Education Association (FEA) 2010 annual conference. San Antonio, TX.
WORKING PAPERS & CURRENT RESEARCH
“Reporting and Managing on the Cheap: Using Blackboard in a Student-Managed Investments Program” with Larry Belcher is under revision for the Journal of Financial Education.
“Don’t Glide into College: Why conservative investments might be better for college 529 Plan”
“Why Business Matters to God (And What Still Needs to Be Fixed)” is a book review to be published in the next Christian Scholars Review
Series 7, Brokerage Preparation
Issues in Economics
International Finance & Economics
Applied Managerial Finance
Essentials of Finance
Discussion leader for Foundations of Christian Thought
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AND CONSULTING
- Article reviewer, Christian Business Faculty Association (CBFA), 2001 to present
- Financial consultant to several churches and other non-profit groups, 1994 - present. Currently manage several endowments, retirement and benefit plans.
- Journal reviewer, Christian Business Academy Review (CBAR), 2005 to present
- Project Manager, USDA Grant Country Incubator Development Grant, 2008
- Article reviewer, Financial Education Association (FEA), 2006 to present
- Editorial Board, Insurance Markets and Companies: Analyses and Actuarial Computations, 2009 - present
- Christian Business Faculty Association (CBFA), 2000 – present
- Financial Education Association (FEA), 2003 – present
- Financial Management Association (FMA), 2007 – present
- Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), 2002 – present
- Researched and developed the finance major now adopted at Taylor University, 2000 – 2001
- Served on the Financial Aid, Admissions, and Athletic Committee. Chair 2003 to 2006
- Served on the committee to prepare Colleagues College, 2001 – 2002
- Developed program for Student Managed Endowment Account and currently supervise the program.
- Assisted writing North Central Accreditation document for the MBA program.
- Led Lighthouse mission team to Trinidad, January 2006 and January 2007
- Serve on Faculty Development and Candidate Interview Committee (FDCIC), August 2006 – 2009
- Served on Academic Counsel (2007-2008).
- Serve on Faculty Personal Committee (FPC), August 2010 – present.
SAMPLE CONFERENCES ATTENDED
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU) Associate Dean/Chairs Conference , San Diego, 2009
- Christian Business Faculty Association Buffalo, 2000: Bourbonnais, 2001: Boise, 2002: Dayton, 2006: Seattle, 2007: Indianapolis, 2008: Orlando, 2010
- Financial Education Association Mystic Seaport, 2003: Orlando, 2005: Bermuda, 2007: San Antonio, 2010
- Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), Phoenix, 2006: Orlando, 2007:
- Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Washington, DC, 2009
- No Educator Left Behind Indianapolis, 2006
- Mid-West Scholars Indianapolis, 2009
- Teaching Leader for Adult Bible Fellowship at Hanfield United Methodist Church, 2003 – 2005
- Pianist for Hanfield United Methodist Church, 2005 – present
- Worship Leader, Hanfield United Methodist Church, 2008-2009
- Teach “Good Sense” Financial Seminar, 2004 – present
- Participated in Zambia mission project, 2009
- Board of Director, Grant County Unity Way, 2011 – present
“The Effect of Innovative Finance Course Design on Learning and Attitude of Non-Traditional Students in the Non-Traditional MBA Program” by Robert E. Timmons, Doctor of Business Administration, Anderson University. November 2008.
“Practical Leadership in Sales Organizations: The Influence of Lone Wolf Tendencies of Top Performers on Control in Sales Governance, and Team Performance” by Brian Teeters. Indiana Wesleyan University. May 10, 2011.
RECENT FOREIGN TRAVEL
Russia (2001, 2003), Trinidad and Tobago (2006, 2007), Switzerland (1997), Zambia (2009), Ecuador (2007, 2008), England (2009)