Why Study Business at Taylor University?
The entire Taylor University experience isn’t just about the next four years you spend on campus; it’s about the 40 years that follow. Our faculty are dedicated to helping you develop into an even better disciple. With a Taylor degree, you’ll enter the world confident you have the education and experience to serve and succeed. And, it doesn’t hurt that for seven years in a row, Taylor is the number one Midwest University in the category Best Regional Colleges by U.S. News & World Report.
Why Taylor Business? Here are a few popular questions, answered by Dr. Larry Belcher, professor of economics and finance and the business department chair. Don’t see an answer to your question? Contact Dr. Belcher today!
What makes Taylor’s Business Program different from other programs?
- Real World Experience: At Taylor, getting a good education is about more than just classes, projects, and presentations—it’s about real world experience. Through our student run endowment, a semester long course to prepare you for the Series 7 Brokerage Licensing Exam and CPA exam, and our extensive alumni connections, you’ll be more than prepared to start on your career path in business.
- Business as Missions (BAM): The BAM minor, available to students in any major, is designed to help students prepare for service through Kingdom-oriented companies in North America and abroad. Courses from a variety of disciplines—business, entrepreneurship, missions, and religion—provide a solid perspective on business as missions. Watch this video done by a student on a recent BAM trip to Sierra Leone.
- Ethics: It is pivotal that today’s Christian business professional be able to defend their beliefs within our secular and pluralistic society. Whether it is attending our bootcamp, doing case studies in our classrooms, participating in Taylor’s Ethics Bowl or learning from those in our Ethics Center, you will have the opportunity to build skills in ethical analysis and application.
How will the business program prepare me for the next step in my career?
Our unique, semester-long prep courses for the Series-7 Brokerage Licensing Exam and CPA exam will put you ahead of the game. Passing these tests and having a license before you graduate creates an incredible advantage for your future employer's return on investment and in you getting a job.
Because of our hands on approach to learning, in 2003 we gave students full access to manage not fake play money but $1 million of real money. By being able to manage real money through our student run endowment, you will be extremely marketable to a company and a future employer.
You will benefit from Taylor’s global focus with international courses, case studies, workshops, guest speakers, and the ability to travel overseas with study tours and missions trips. You can even combine a mission focus with business skills with a Business as Missions Minor. You will grow both personally and professionally as you prepare for a career serving the kingdom of God.
Whether you’re entering the job market or heading to grad school, you’ll be well prepared. Visit our Graduate & Careers page to few some facts showing the success of our program.
How can I grow professionally outside of the classroom?
Practicums: Gain incredible experience in your required business practicum. Past students have interned with national names such as Calamos Investments, Hope International, Walmart, J.D. Norman Industries, and the Department of Defense.
Student business organizations: Enactus is an organization that seeks to serve communities through entrepreneurial activity. The aim of the organization is for students to use business knowledge to promote sustainable communities. And the student teams create and execute projects to serve that end.
National conferences and competitions: Stretch yourself as you present papers and/or compete with your peers at the Partners Worldwide International Business Conference, Students in Free Enterprise Conference or Economics Undergraduate Research Conference.
What study abroad opportunities or off-campus programs are available?
Tons! Did you know 80% of Taylor University students travel abroad? In fact, TU ranks extremely high nationwide in the number of students who have overseas experiences. Specific opportunities include:
- Short-term trips: Take advantage of unique business study tours and missions trips to Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America alongside your professors and tour facilities, train entrepreneurs, meet executives and grapple with the challenges they face.
- Semester-long study abroad: If you’re an International Business student, count on spending a semester abroad. Otherwise, chose from our amazing, semester-long study programs in Lithuania, Ecuador or Hong Kong.
- Business as Missions (BAM) Travel Opportunities: Over the past five years, students have traveled to China, Southeast Asia, West Africa, Nicaragua, Honduras and Ecuador for first-hand involvement in BAM.
- Field trips: Join your peers for a rare inside look into several high-profile U.S. companies.