Physical Education and Human Performance (PHP)
Why Study Physical Education and Human Performance?
Why should I pick Taylor University for physical education and human performance?
Physical education and human performance is one of the fastest-growing departments on campus. Here are four reasons why:
- High-tech facilities. You’ll log numerous hours using state-of-the-art equipment in our brand-new human performance lab, giving you exceptional, professional-level exposure during your undergraduate years.
- Hands-on experience. We’ll have you prescribing exercise programs for real-life clients, conducting research with our full-time faculty or rubbing shoulders with top athletic directors and sports managers in no time.
- Heart and soul commitment. Our Christian faculty engage students in mentoring relationships—in and out of the classroom.
- Whole-person education. Ultimately, the Taylor experience isn’t just about the next 4 years you spend on campus. It’s about the 40 years that follow—and becoming the person God designed you to be. That’s why educating the whole person is the emphasis here. With Taylor, you’ll enter the world confident you have the education and experience to serve and succeed, no matter where God calls you.
How can I grow professionally outside the classroom?
In PHP, professional opportunities abound. Take your pick from:
- Real-life personal training. Through FIT and LITE—two student-run adult fitness and strength training programs—you’ll make health assessments and design individualized training programs for real clients within the community.
- Professional conferences and presentations. Widen your professional horizons as you participate in interdisciplinary research and present your findings at professional conferences, such as the Experimental Biology annual conference, Midwestern American College of Sports Medicine regional conference and the Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance conference, as well as the Illinois State University Sport Management Symposium.
- Top-rated practicums and internships. Get a shot at competitive internships across the nation. Past students have interned with such national names as the United States Olympic Training Center and Cleveland Browns and have even volunteered at the Big Ten Conference Basketball and Football Championships and the Super Bowl.
What travel or off-campus programs are available?
If your college goals include stateside or overseas travel, you’ve come to the right place. Specific opportunities within the physical education and human performance department include:
- Short-term trips. During January term, travel to countries like Ecuador, Paraguay and Belize, promoting health and wellness and experiencing a wide range of cross-cultural interactions in third world countries.
- Semester-long international study experiences. We’ve helped coordinate student-initiated, semester-long study experiences to countries like the Dominican Republic, where students worked with physical therapists in a hospital setting.
I’m thinking about a career in allied health. Why would I choose to study exercise science to reach my career goals?
Allied health professionals, such as nurses, therapists, physicians, public heath educators and physician’s assistants, are better practitioners if they understand how exercise can prevent and treat disease. Our exercise science program does just that. It’s packed with basic sciences and humanities courses while focusing on exercise at the same time, giving you a great foundation to meet your allied health career goals.