Departmental Integration of Faith and Learning
- The Department of Sociology promotes efforts to minister the redemptive love of Jesus Christ to a world in need by encouraging students to develop an understanding of social and cultural relationships informed by biblical assumptions and beliefs, and valuing agents of transformation and social renewal consistent with a Christian worldview. The department includes issues of biblical social justice in its formal and informal curriculum.
- The Sociology major requires all students to write a senior thesis, their first professional quality piece of work. The thesis is comparable to the type of writing required in graduate level programs and our students are fully prepared for their next steps after graduation.
- 39 credit hours for Sociology major. Sociology strongly complements the following fields:
- Biblical Studies/Christian Educational Ministry; Business; History; Mass Communication/Journalism; Political Science; Psychology and Spanish.
Aspects of Taylor’s Sociology Curriculum
- Computer-based research is actually carried out in the classroom, using real-world, professional quality data.
- A variety of field experiences are offered through class trips and practicums, including:
- Breakthrough Urban Ministries, Chicago, IL
- LaSalle Street Urban Ministries, Chicago, IL
- Lawndale Community Church/Christian Community Development Association, Chicago, IL
- Emmaus Ministries, Chicago, IL
- Jesus People USA, Chicago, IL
- World Relief, Chicago, IL
- Urban Promise, Camden, NJ
- Detroit Holocaust Museum, Detroit, MI
- Hispanic Cultural Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Islamic Cultural Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Jireh Sports, Indianapolis, IN
- Oasis of Hope Church, Indianapolis, IN
- Damien Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Shepherd Community Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Pendleton Correctional Facility, Pendleton, IN
- Indiana Family Institute, Indianapolis, IN
- St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church, Indianapolis, IN
- Seniors attend a professional sociology conference, either the Annual Meetings of the Southern Sociological Society or the Annual Meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society.
- Poverty Simulation in Chicago, IL
- Many students will also complete internships. Some of the internship locations include New Life Services, a Christian family services agency in Minneapolis, MN, the Canton Ohio Police Department in Canton, OH and Safe Harbor, an international relief agency.
Social Justice Week
- Social Justice Week is a campus-wide week-long event dedicated to exploring God’s special concern for the oppressed and those in poverty, and examining our Christian calling for involvement in our communities, nation, and world. The event includes nationally known speakers, like Shane Claiborne and Jim Wallace, a cardboard community where Taylor students live in homes made out of cardboard boxes, and many other activities designed to engage the Taylor community in the exploration of critical societal issues.
Programs or Facilities
- The small number of students in this major allows for much personalization and flexibility.
- The liberal arts emphasis enhances the major.
- All students are encouraged to gain practicum experience.
- Various classes take weekend field trips.
- In the summer of 2009, 16 students and professors participated in a social justice trip to Rwanda.
- In January, sociology students and professors travel to South Korea for a three-week educational study abroad program.
Travel Study Opportunities
- Sociology students are also able to participate in any of Taylor’s study abroad programs. The major is designed to be flexible and allows students the opportunity to participate in any of the programs that they choose.
Prospective Sociology Majors are Encouraged to
Keep abreast of national and international affairs through newspapers and magazines.
- Take a general college prep curriculum, as well as any courses in sociology, history, government, and computer literacy.
Graduate Programs from which Taylor’s Sociology Majors have Received Advanced Degrees
- Asbury Seminary
- Ashland Theological Seminary
- Ball State University
- Biblical Seminary
- Case Western Reserve
- Christian Theological Seminary
- Drew University
- Duke University
- Gannon College
- Hanna Divinity
- Indiana University-Bloomington
- Lutheran Brethren Seminary
- McCormick Theological Seminary
- Michigan State University
- Ohio State University
- Reformed Episcopal Seminary
- Southern Seminary
- Syracuse University
- Trinity Evangelical School of Theology
- United Theological Seminary
- University of Chicago
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Detroit
- University of Illinois
- University of Michigan
- University of New York-Buffalo
- University of Oklahoma
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas-Austin
- Vanderbilt University
- Wesleyan Theological Seminary
- Western State University
- Westminster Seminary
- Winona Lake School of Theology
College Admissions and Career Placement
Community Planning and Urban Affairs
Corrections, Probation and Law Enforcement
Human Resources Management or Personnel
Marketing and Consumer Research
Pre-professional (law or medical)