Why should I major in English at Taylor?
As you can see from watching our videos and looking at our blog, students that have an English major are critical thinkers, effective storytellers and communicators and have a broad range of opportunities that await them after graduation.
You will get the benefits that come with attending a university that has ranked #1 in the mid-west six times in a row. You will get the second to none community that focuses on discipleship and intentional community.
Additionally, students and alumni from Taylor’s English department will tell you that you get that something more: you get exceptionally talented faculty guiding you from the time you take your first class until you finish with your senior capstone.
Here are some other benefits to consider:
Growing Outside the Classroom:
- Parnassus. You will have the opportunity to serve on the editorial staff of Parnassus, Taylor’s annual journal of art and literature.
- Making Literature Conference. You will have the opportunity during our biannual conference to present creative and scholarly papers, lead conference panels, interact with nationally-known scholars and writers and (via internship) help organize and stage the conference.
- Writing Center. You will have the opportunity to tutor in our Writing Center.
- January Term Literary London Trip. This trip fulfills a general education requirement. Any student from any program may attend, but those who are studying literature would especially benefit from a trip that allows you to travel to York, Edinburg, Stratford-upon-Avon and many other locations to study British literature by authors like Shakespeare, Jane Austin, T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis and others. For more information, please read this story about the 2012 trip
- Oxford Summer Study Program – Watch this video by Stephanie on the benefits of the Oxford Summer Study Program.
- Lighthouse- Since 1972 Taylor's Lighthouse program has enabled students to gain unforgettable, life-changing experiences during Interterm studying and serving cross-culturally around the world. Recent Lighthouse destinations include: India, the Czech Republic, Paraguay, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Southeast Asia, Ecuador, Singapore and Thailand. Look at the Lighthouse website for more information.
- Irish Studies Program -- The Irish Studies Program is designed for students to expand cultural and spiritual awareness by studying and experiencing the history and culture of Ireland. Irish literature, Irish history, Celtic studies, and Contemporary Ireland comprise the core of the program's course of study. There is also a special Freshman Irish Studies Program as well. Make sure you check it out!