Institutional Review Board
Taylor University's Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee that provides oversight of all research involving human subjects. The IRB exists solely to make sure all research participants are protected from any undue harm or risk. Read the IRB Policy.
Submit a Proposal
All projects must be submitted to the IRB (even exempt projects) so the university can keep track of what research is being done.
Assuming all materials are included in the submission, exempt and expedited reviews are normally completed within one week. Full reviews require a convening of the full IRB and may take weeks or months to complete.
- Undergraduate student projects are to be submitted by a faculty member providing oversight for the project. The faculty member will be considered one of the principle investigators.
- If you are unfamiliar with the issues and terms of human subject research, use the CITI Program Human Subjects Research Course in the appropriate concentration area (biomedical research or social & behavioral). If you have had limited training in human subject research, you are encouraged to add a copy of the certificate the tutorial provides to your submission (to demonstrate that you understand the issues involved in human subject research).
To submit your project:
- Download IRB Proposal Packet
- Complete Proposal Packet
- Scan and save as a PDF the signed Researcher Assurances page
- E-mail the following items to email@example.com
- Completed IRB Proposal Packet
- Scanned signed Researcher Assurances page
- Electronic copy of CITI certification
- Please allow sufficient time for review of your proposal. Most reviews are completed within one week, but can take longer due to issues raised with the proposal.
CITI Certification Course
DHHS’ Office of Human Research Protection (OHRP)
OHRP Decision Charts
OHRP Informed Consent Tips
OHRP Informed Consent Checklist
OHRP Regulations and Policy Guidance
Common Rule (45 CFR 46)
The Belmont Report
For more information, contact the Institutional Review Board at IRB@taylor.edu.