About - Our People

Student Employment



Q. Where is Student Payroll located?

We are located in room 145 of the Freimuth Administration Building.  Our telephone number is 765-998-5211 and the e-mail address is payroll@taylor.edu

Q. Where do I begin?

Contact the Calling and Career Office for on campus job opportunities. They can be reached at 765-998-5382 or callingandcareer@taylor.edu.

Q. What types of work are available on campus?

Types of work vary greatly across campus.  To list a few:  food service, office-clerical, phonathon caller, housekeeping, grounds, pep band, Well keeper, laundry, computer lab worker, educational tech center counter worker.  

Q. What do I do after I secure an on campus job?

You must visit the Payroll Manager the day you accept an on campus job. 

Q. What do I need to bring to Payroll after securing an on campus job?

All employees in the US are required to complete the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (more commonly known as form I-9).  For this form, we are required by law to witness identification.  Please review the following form to see what forms of identification will be accepted: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf  By law, we can only accept original documents or certified copies.  (No photocopies or faxes). 

Q. What do I need to do before beginning an on campus job?

All student employees must visit the Payroll Manager in order to complete the following:

  • W-4 (Employees Withholding Allowance Certificate)
  • WH-4 (State of Indiana Withholding and Exemption Certificate)
  • I-9 (Employment Eligibility Certificate)
  • Direct Deposit Authorization
  • Indiana Reciprocal State Tax Form (Residents of KY, MI, OH, PA, WI)

Q: What should I claim for tax exemption?

The majority of students claim single status with either zero or one exemption. Please refer to
http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/individuals/students/index.html for information regarding student related tax issues. 

Q. Can I start my job before I complete these papers and present ID?

No.  The federal government requires that this paperwork and identification must be secured within three days of employment.  

Q. Can I volunteer to work until I can provide the appropriate ID for the I-9?

No. Student employees are not eligible for volunteer status. 

Q. How do I record the hours that I have worked?

You will enter your hours on your student timesheet in myTaylor. Some exceptions apply, please see your supervisor for more information.

Q. Do I have to record my hours in the pay period I worked or can I save them up and be paid at the end of a term or the end of the year?

No, you cannot save up hours.  You must enter and submit your time in the pay period in which you worked.  You will receive e-mail reminders each pay period to remind you to submit your hours.  Please be sure to open and read these e-mails as other pertinent information may be included in the e-mails.  

Q: I forgot to enter hours from last pay period. What should I do?

You need to enter those hours worked onto the current time card. Please use the "Prior Pay Period" field and enter previous hours worked under any day (days will not match because they are entered late). Indicate the dates and hours worked in the "Comments" field. 

Q. As a student employee, am I eligible for health, dental or vision insurance, vacation time pay, holiday pay, or sick time pay?

No, a person holding student status in a student job is not eligible for these benefits.   

Q: Do I get a separate pay stub for each campus job?

Only one pay stub is issued for each pay period. If you work more than one job during a single pay period you will receive one paystub reflecting your combined earnings. 

Q: When are timesheets due?

Timesheets are due by 11:00 p.m. on Sunday following the end of the pay period on Saturday. For more information check out the Payroll Calendar at my.taylor.edu under the Employee tab. However, your supervisor may determine another due date for your submission of hours to allow time to review and approve timesheets. 

Q: When can I enter my hours on my timesheet?

You can enter hours as soon as you have worked them. You do not need to wait until the pay period end date to enter your hours. But you must submit your timesheet at the end of each pay period before the due date. 

Q: Who is responsible for ensuring that I get paid?

Students are ultimately responsible for getting paid hours worked. You are responsible for entering your hours on the web. You can view your timesheet on the web to see if your supervisor has approved your time. If your supervisor has not approved your time, you are responsible for notifying your supervisor that you have an outstanding timesheet that requires approval. 

Work Study

Q. What is Work Study? 

Work Study is money granted to you through financial aid. For more information visit them on the web.

Q. I have been awarded Work Study.  How many hours can I work per week? 

Work study students can work up to 20 total hours per week. Students must be enrolled at least half time to be considered for Federal Work Study.  

Q: I’m on work-study, do I still pay taxes?

All students are exempt from paying Social Security (FIO) and Medicare (FIM) taxes during the school year. However, students are not exempt from paying federal and state taxes. Please refer to http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/individuals/students/index.html for information regarding student related tax issues. 

Q. Can I work on campus without Work Study?

Yes, you can.  But non-Work Study eligible students are only hired after the Work Study students have secured jobs on campus.  

Q. I am a non-Work Study employee.  How many hours can I work per week?

The primary objective for students attending Taylor is to focus on education.  It is suggested that students do not exceed 20 working hours per week. 


Q. How often will I be paid?

Student employees are paid bi-weekly. Check out the payroll calendar at my.taylor.edu under the Employee Tab. 

Q. How will I be paid?

All Taylor University student employees must set up direct deposit to your bank account or apply for a pre-paid debit card. 

Q. Can I have my pay put toward my student bill?

No.  You may obtain information on paying your bill by contacting the Bursar’s Office. 

Q. Is there any place on campus where I can cash my check?

No.  Many students open a local bank account to avoid paying ATM fees. However, there are three ATM machines on campus that you can use to make withdrawals once you have an account established.

Q. Can I get a cash advance on my pay?

No.  The only way the university will extend a cash advance is because of a payroll error on the part of the HR department.