The Center for Teaching & Learning Excellence
Believing that faculty are the central motivating force in the achievement of the university mission, the Center for Teaching Excellence has been established to equip professors with skills, knowledge, and a common vision.
The primary goal of the Center is to create and sustain an academic community in which faith and learning are effectively and creatively integrated in curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular programs. The Center is focused on the engagement of faculty in research and discussion promoting the scholarship of teaching and learning within the context of a Christian liberal arts university in which faculty and students are committed to lifelong learning and ministering the redemptive love of Jesus Christ to a world in need.
As a community of Christian scholars, the Center works collaboratively with the President's Office, Office of Academic Affairs, and the Faculty Development Committee & Interview Committee to provide for professional development in five targeted areas:
- Dynamics of Teaching Effectiveness
- Integration of Faith & Learning
- Development of Leadership
- Application of Classroom Technology
- Support of Scholarship Related to Teaching & Learning
These five strands are intentionally developed through activities such as the following:
- Seminars, workshops & other activities planned and implemented by the Center in collaboration with the President's Office, Office of Academic Affairs, and the Faculty Development Committee & Interview Committee
- Summer research grants that provide support for faculty engaged in research projects focused on the scholarship of teaching and learning
- Peer mentoring (formal and informal)
- Online discussion of faculty research projects
- Forums, workshops, and seminars focused on effective teaching and learning
- Faculty reading groups and discussion
- Faculty participation in planning and discussing instruments and data collected from teaching assessment projects coordinated by the Testing Office and the Center for Teaching Excellence
For further information, please contact Faye Chechowich, director.